Saturday, March 3, 2012

Zoo Time Baby!

I've been to the zoo a few times already and it's always different each time. When I was younger it seemed fun and very much exciting! But as I returned year after year, it became less and less attractive and fun.

But some areas that have always been the same was the dreaded fear of going into the Bird House.
The first time I was there, I thought it was amazing! It had a funny and very strong smell at one of the entrances (the one with the humming bird exhibit). But as you moved through the building, there where more exhibits of birds, but they were wired in. No glass windows separating us, it was just black wires, small enough so that their legs could possibly move back and forth between them, but not big enough for their bodies to follow.

But that wasn't the reason why I dreaded going there, I mean I loved to see all of the different birds, and the penguins! But right after the penguins exhibit (also the only glassed in exhibit due to it's obvious reasons), there is the open exhibit. I really dreaded to go to this exhibit and still do a bit because of the fact that the birds are able to roam around and do whatever they like! It's a bit scary because they are "free" which is not usual around the zoo. I observed that birds are the only creatures that they allow to be "free" and I suppose it's because to keep them healthy they need room to fly but, it's a little intimidating for me.

I have never really thought about why it frightens me, for the lack of better words, but now that I do have a bit of time to reflect. I suppose it has this impact on my because it gives the animals more control within the area than it would myself. Also, the fact that I know how strong their beaks are and just how large they are would also be contributing factors to they having the advantage over me.

I guess another reason to why I am not as fond of that exhibit, is because I always remember just how low the birds fly around and above my head! It really scares me because the birds are like an arms length! They are huge and their wing-spans are wide as well, so I have valid reasons LOL. not really...haha.

No comments: